Saturday, May 31, 2008

Wheaton

Today felt like summer. We loaded our sweet babies into the car and were off to Wheaton, which just happens to be my favorite place in the Chicagoland area. I have been a long time admirer of Jim and Elizabeth Elliot, who went to Wheaton College many years ago. I have read her book "Passion and Purity" about a million times, so to be in the same place that a lot of the book is based is magical for me. I feel like I can see Jim Elliot when I am at the train station, or hear their conversations as I sit in the park. I know it is crazy, but their story has always meant a lot to me.
Anyway, I love the town for more than just the Elliots. It has the most fabulous farmer's market around. It is an open-air French market. There are rows of fresh flowers, fresh vegetables, tables of fresh breads and croissants, and today I discovered a table with fresh eggs and cheese! I felt like I had been taken to Paris itself.
Addison especially loved the trains that went by every ten minutes or so. Since "Ma" (grandma) went home on the train, she has been totally engrossed with trains. Today she saw her share of trains as she waved to all of them that went by. It was really cute. We ate our packed lunches in the park and Addison and Andy ran around as I fed Henry. At the end of the afternoon we splurged on a fresh lemonade and kettel corn. Delicious.
It was simply the best day we have had in a long time.

No comments: